the risks, effects and protection from Electromagnetic radiation Computer Radiation .
Today, Computers are being used in almost every field. These have become an important part of our lives. There is no doubt that its versatility has not only changed our way of thinking but has also accelerated the rate development many times. But, do you know how risky the computer radiation can be for our eyes, heart and other body organs?
What is Computer Radiation?
Health Effects due to Computer Radiation
It has been known for many years that radiation emitted from computers can cause or contribute to the cause of various health problems which include sleep interference, allergic reactions and even the severe health issues like heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer’s disease etc.
Studies over the last 15 years have given hints of the connection between Electromagnetic Fields (EMF’s) and health problems. EMF’s have been implicated in behavioral changes, memory loss, birth defects and Alzheimer’s disease.
Mostly, the people do not want to sit on a chair near high voltage power lines, but they do not think twice before sitting on a chair in front of a computer screen, that includes a CPU, a printer, a scanner and perhaps a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supplier) with it. Working at the same position for hours, they never know that they are absorbing as much radiation as if they could have a high voltage power line.
A computer user, not aware about the choice and placement of devices (Computer assemblies) could be open to an ELF radiation from Computers with a field strength of 3 to 7 millie gauss while microwaves from Wi-Fi devices may carry a field strength of 100 to 200 µW/m2. Individually, these radiations are quite far from safe and may cause very serious health issues if taken together.
Some other serious diseases that may be caused by exposure to EMF radiation include: Cancer, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, fibromyalgia, heart problems, asthma, Lyme disease, chest pain, insomnia, chronic fatigue, daily headache, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis stress, brain fog, brain cancer, brain tumors, forgetfulness, digestive disorders, birth defects, nausea, leukemia(general), lymphoblastic leukemia, skin problems, weak immune system etc and the list is as long as it can still be continued.
Eye Irritation – Almost everyone who uses to sit in front a computer screen must be familiar with irritation in eyes. Computer screens cause eye strain. Moreover, the electromagnetic radiation also causes dryness and irritation in our eyes. We should intake Vitamin A and C and Omega 3 fatty acids regularly in order to maintain the health and vision of our eyes.
Laptop Radiation: It has been noted that the radiation emitted from Laptop or notebook computers is generally lower than the amount emitted by Desktop computers. One of the main cause behind this is the use of small-sized components, a LED (Light Emitting Diode) or LCD (Liquid Crystal Display). Moreover, the laptops are battery operated plays a major role in lowering the rate of radiation from these portable computers.
Still, we are not safe! The main problem with laptop or notebook is that we remain even closer to it as compared to a Computer, also takes us closer to the radiation being emitted from the device. Generally, people are found using laptops keeping it on their laps/thighs that not only increases the chances of radiation, but can also cause severe burns, or infertility in males due to the heat released from it.
Wi-Fi Radiation, or radiation from wireless networks and routers
WiFi and other wireless networks, routers, modems and other wireless devices are being used widely by school, colleges, IT companies, firms, and individuals. All these wireless equipment emit electromagnetic radiation when they remain in touch with each other. Mainly these are microwaves or radio radiation.
To be said, these wireless devices are not at all safe. It has been scientifically proved that the digital signals added on to the microwave carrier can interfere with our biological processes.
Radiation from other components of Computer
- · Uninterruptable Power Supply or UPS – A UPS provides backup power for the computers to save the risks of data loss due to power cut issues. In common conditions, a UPS may produce radiation from 10 millie gauss to 50 millie gauss or more around an area of 20 to 30 cm.
- · Printers and Scanners – Though printers do not radiate a very large amount of radiation but it gets doubled at the time of printing. It is always advisable to keep your printing/scanning devices at a maximum distance from your computer desks.
- · Sub-woofers and Sound systems – Some large sub-woofers and sound systems also produces a shocking amount of radiations even when the speakers are powered but not producing any sound. One may estimate the radiations it may produce while making sounds in high volumes.
- · Wireless Keyboard/Mouse/Mice – Using the wireless keyboard, mouse or any other wireless input/output device increases the production of radiation.
How to receive the least levels of computer radiation?
Generally, it seems impossible to prevent ourselves from the radiations which continuously keep emitting from the device we use for some minutes to several hours. But, still, we may follow some measures to reduce the computer radiation to acceptable levels.
For example, in home or offices, where we have to work for more than 7 to 8 hours a day, some setup can be done to minimize the computer radiation levels to the least:
- Make sure to use the only LCD or LED monitors.
- Use corded equipment instead of wireless keyboard/mouse/telephones.
- Always use a wired network instead of wireless networks.
- Computers, printers, and scanners should be networked together through wired networks.
- For Internet connections, always use a wired modem connected to a wired network line.
- Always try to place printing/scanning devices and UPS at a maximum distance from where you sit.
- A very effective way to reduce the effects of computer radiation is earthing or grounding. One may ground his/her computer (laptop/desktop) by attaching a wire from a metal component of the computer to the ground terminal of the wall socket. Electricity follows the path of least resistance, hence it will let the computer generated electromagnetic fields through the wire and not from us. One may also ground his/her own body with a grounding met, but it is not much recommended in case of presence of any electrical equipment or water near you.
Some additional yet useful suggestions to receive the least level of Electromagnetic Radiations
- Turn off the monitor when not in use.
- Always make sure the back of a computer(CPU) is not pointing at you or someone else. It has worst effects.
- Keep the computers, printers, scanners turned off when you are not using them.
- Drink water frequently whenever while working on computers for a longer time.
- Avoid taking jobs or living in places where Electromagnetic field exposure can be very high.
- A strong electromagnetic field radiation may cause you cancer in just 3 days. So always maintain possible distances from EM exposures.
- Grow a habit of washing your face after every long meeting with your computer screen, it helps in removes the radiation settled on our face.
- Some people have even found that using a facial mask before sitting in front of a computer may help to cut their exposure to EMF radiation.
- Scientifically, it has been proved that some cactus plants have the ability to absorb the EMF radiation coming from electronic devices like a computer.
- Make a habit of having antioxidants like tea or coffee during break periods.
- Take healthy food such as green vegetables, tomatoes, apples, broccoli, carrots, cherries which has significant amounts of Vitamin A and C which are considered good for our eyes as well as in keeping our body healthy and safe from the risks of computer radiation.
So friends, by following some simple measures you can be able to save you and others from various health risks. As you have been introduced to most of the health issues and remedies from computer radiations, now arrange your own computer desks and workplaces and keep your computer healthy and safe!