Get steps How to configure Ubuntu 7.10 to BSNL Broadband Modem?
Atlast I have connected to internet from ubuntu.
Here are the steps.
Have the router/modem on. This is applicable only for ethernet (I’m not sure about USB)
1. Connect the modem/router to the ethernet card.
2. Assign an IP address for the ethernet card; the router has a fixed interface address of 192.168.1.1, so you can use 192.168.1.2 for your ethernet interface.
$ sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 (It is not ipconfig. It is ‘ifconfig’)
3. Add 192.168.1.1 as default gateway.
$ sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.1
4. Enter the address of some DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf. These DNS adresses are provided on BSNL’s instruction manual.
$ sudo vi /etc/resolv.conf
The entry will be of type nameserver 126.96.36.199, where the IP will be the one provided in your DataOne instruction manual (or contact BSNL for this).
5. Access the router’s management interface via a browser by typing the address 192.168.1.1. The admin username/password is admin/admin
* Set the connection type to `PPPoE’. On Settings—>PVC0
* Enter your user name and password (username is of the form xyz@dataone)
* Reset the router. It will take 2-3 minutes for the box to come up again