There is all about Deprex tablets side effects and how to use Deprex tablets in daily life.
What is Deprex?
Deprex is a brand of olanzapine manufactured by Square Pharmaceuticals, India. It is a drug prescribed for psychosis and bipolar disorder.
When administered as an injection, it quite useful for treating acutely disturbed patients who are unable take oral medications. Its principal side effects are drowsiness, weight gain, and problems with blood sugar patientspredisposed to diabetes.
Uses of Deprex
Deprex can be used in a wide variety of mental disorders
- Schizophrenia—Deprex is effective in managing the symptoms Schizophrenia including delusions, hallucinations, disturbed or unusual thinking, loss of interest in life, and strong or inappropriate emotions.
- Bipolar disorder—This exhibits itself as an extreme and often persistent mood swings that can disrupt a person’s day to day functioning. Mania and depression can be sometimes accompanied by psychotic symptoms such as auditory hallucinations and grandiose delusions. Deprex is found to be effective in treating both the manic and depressive phases of the illness and it stabilizes the mood of the patients.
- Depression—Current evidence suggest that in combination with Prodep (Fluoxetine), Deprex is quite effective in treating depression resulting in bipolar disorder.
- Controlling disturbed patients—Deprex have a sedative and calming profile and patients with acutely disturbed behavior, especially psychotic patients. Deprex is available as both intramuscular injection and rapid ingestion tablets that dissolves quickly inside the mouth.
How to Take Deprex
Deprex comes as a pill in an Aluminium wrapping or as orally disintegrating tablet (tablet that dissolves quickly in the mouth). Usual dosage is once a day.
You need to follow the prescription carefully, and need to ask your doctor or your if you do not understand what it says. You need to take the medication as exactly as directed by the psychiatrist. You should not take more or less of the medication.
Orally dissolving tablets will quickly dissolve in the mouth and do not have an unpleasant aftertaste.
Usually, your doctor start you on a low dose of Deprex then gradually increase the dose.
It is very important to understand that this medication would control your symptoms, but will not cure your underlying condition. In addition, it may take around several weeks or may be longer before you feel the full benefit of the treatment. It is also very important to continue to take the medication even though you feel well.
Do not stop the medication without explicit advice from your doctor.
Warnings and Precautions Before You Take Deprex
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to olanzapine or any other medications and food stuffs
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist the prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you take or plan to take because this could affect your treatment.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had a stroke, a mini-stroke, heart disease or a heart attack, an irregular heartbeat, fits, breast cancer,
- Any condition that makes it difficult for you to swallow,
- High or low blood pressure,
- a high level of fats (cholesterol and triglycerides) in your blood,
- a low number of white blood cells,
- liver or prostate disease, Stomach problems, glaucoma (an eye condition),
- High blood sugar, or if you or anyone in your family has or has ever had diabetes.
- Tell your doctor if you have severe vomiting or diarrhea
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, especially if you are in the last few months of your pregnancy, or whether you plan to become pregnant or are breast-feeding.
- If you become pregnant while taking olanzapine, call your doctor immediately.
- Olanzapine may cause problems in newborns after delivery
- It is very important You should know that Deprex may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
- You should know that alcohol can add to the drowsiness
- Cigarette smoking may decrease the level of blood levels of this medication.
Important Warning Before Taking Deprex
Newer Studies have shown that patients with dementia (a brain disorder that affects the ability to remember, think clearly, communicate, and perform daily activities and that may cause changes in mood and personality) who take medication similar to deprex
Senior citizens with dementia may also have a greater chance of having a stroke or mini-stroke during treatment with deprex.
Side Effects of Deprex
- Unusual behavior
- Sleep difficulties
- Difficulty in walking
- Weight gain is common
- Dry mouth
- Pain in various body parts
- Breast enlargement
- Late or missed periods
- Decreased sexual potency
Some can be serious, call your doctor immediately. If you experience any of the following symptoms,
- Seizures (Fits)
- Visual disturbances
- Swelling of the arms, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- Sore throat, fever, chills with rigors, and other signs of infection
- Very stiff muscles
- Excess sweating
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
Symptoms of overdose may include:
- Excessive Drowsiness
- Slurred speech
- Fast heartbeat
- Sudden movements that you cannot control or extrapyramidal side effects
- Coma (loss of consciousness for a period of time)
If any of this symptoms are experienced, call the doctor immediately.
Please note that this author does not have any affiliation to Square Pharma, India or Deprex. The only purpose for this article is to highlight the uses and side effects of this medication. Always see a doctor before starting any treatment.