Examples of Pronoun , Pronouns: Definition, Types
Definition of Pronouns
Pronouns are usually those words which replaces noun words in a sentence to make it less repetitive. Pronouns replaces another pronoun words too.
‘Ram goes to the school, Ram studies different subjects in the school’
can be written as
‘Ram goes to the school, he studies different subject there’.
[Here, the underlined word ‘he’ is a pronoun word which is used in the place of Ram to make the sentence less repetitive]
Types of Pronouns
1. Personal Pronouns – Personal pronouns are such pronouns words that are used to indicate a specific person, gender, number, or case.
- Types of Personal pronouns: 1) Subjective Personal Pronouns, 2) Objective Personal Pronouns, and3) Possessive Personal Pronouns.
- Example- I was doing my homework, the moment you rang me on my cell-phone.
2. Demonstrative Pronouns – Such pronouns which are used to point to a noun or pronoun to demonstrate.
- Example- This is the same book that I had lost yesterday.
3. Interrogative Pronouns – Interrogative pronouns are such pronouns that are used to ask questions.
(Some interrogative pronouns are: what, where, when, which, who/whom, whos etc).
- Example- Whose pen is this?, What is your favorite color? etc.
4. Relative Pronouns – Relative pronouns are such pronoun words, which are used to link two phrases or clause with each-other.
- Example- I live in the same place, where Ram lives with his family.
5. Indefinite Pronouns – Indefinite pronouns refer to something which is not definite/specific or exact.
- Example- I don’t have any topic for today’s discussion.
6. Reflexive Pronouns – Reflexive pronouns are used to refer back to the subject in the sentence or clause.
- Example- Ram often does his work himself, so that his elder brother can get more to study his own subjects.