( biography) Narain Karthikeyan is the first Formula-One driver from India. In 2005, Narain Karthikeyan was signed by the Jordan Formula-One team. He is very passionate about driving. He is the second Asian and the first Indian to participate and win the Formula 3 Championships. He become the first Indian to win the British Formula Ford Winter Series Championship in Europe. He is the first Indian and the first Asian to win the Formula Asia International Series in 1996.
Narain Karthikeyan was born on January 14, 1977 in Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India. His father G.R.Karthikeyan was the Indian National Rally Champion. Narain was passionate about racing at a very young age. He attended the EIF-Winfield Racing School in France at the age of 16. Narain Studied at Stanes Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu. In 1992, Narain was one of the semi-finalist in the Pilote ELF competition for Formula Renault cars in 1992.He competed and was successful at the Spa Fracorchamps Formula Three Championship in Belgium. He studied Business Administration in London. His Idol is Michael Schumacher.
In 1994, Narain raced in the Formula Ford Zetec Series as the number two driver for the Foundation Racing team in U.K. In Estoril, Narain had a podium finish in the Portuguese Grand Prix support race. In 1995, in the Shah Alam Formula Asia Championship in Malaysia, Karthikeyan finished second.
1997 was a great year for karthikeyan. He competed in the Formula Vauxhall Opel and won the prestigious Donington Park race with a lead from start to finish. He was declared – “The Indian Prince rules in the rain” by the famous Autosport magazine.
In 2000, in the Macau Grand Prix, Narain Karthikeyan took the pole position and won the race in the British F3 Championship. He was 4th in the overall standings. Karthikeyan won the race in the Spa Fracorchamps F3 Championships against a full grade of 32 cars with 31 of the world’s best Formula Three drivers competing.
In 2001, Narain Karthikeyan finished amongst the top ten in the Formula Nippon F3000 Championship. His dream came true when he Test-drive Jaguar F1 car at Silverstone. He was the first Indian to do so. In 2004, in the World Series by Nissan, karthikeyan won in Valencia, Spain and in France.
Narain Karthikeyan became Indian’s first Formula-One racing driver to be signed by the Jordon Formula-One Team in 2005. Narain Karthikeyan finished in 15th position in his first race at the Australian Grand Prix. He secured his first points in the United States Grand Prix.
On December 8, 2005, Karthikeyan was selected as a test driver for the Williams Formula-One racing team. In early 2006, Karthikeyan was chosen as Williams fourth Test driver.
In 2007, Karthikeyan has signed a new contract with Williams Formula-One team as a third Test driver. He participated in A1 Grand Prix Series. He broke the lap record for an A1GP car around the National Circuit by three tenths of a second.
Karthikeyan is in discussion with Spyker F1 team over a racing position for the 2008 season. He could be in line for a Formula-One comeback as replacement for dropped Dutch driver Christijan Albers at Spyker.
Narain Karthikeyan Career
– 2007 F1 World Championship
– Karthikeyan is the third Test driver with Williams F1 team
– Participated in A1 Grand Prix.
– 2006 F1 World Championship
– Fourth Test driver with Williams F1 team.
– 2005 F1 World Championship
– Main driver with Jordon F1 team
– Overall 18th position (5 points).
– 2004 World Series by Nissan
– Won the race at Valencia.
– 2003 Super Fund World series
– Finished Fourth in the Championship.
– 2002 Telefonica World Series
– Finished Ninth in the Championship.
– 2001 Formula Nippon Championship F3000
– Finished 14 in the Championship.
– 2000 British Formula 3 Championship
– Finished 4th in the Championship.
– 1999 British formula 3 Championship
– Finished 6th in the Championship.
– 1998 British formula 3 Championship
– Finished 12th in the Championship.
– 1996 Formula Asia Championship (won).
– 1994 British formula Ford Winter Series (won).